You’ve heard that you should eat the rainbow… Well these egg muffins make it easy and fun to eat your vegetables any time of the day. In fact, you could probably get your kids to eat bell peppers and mushrooms if you served them in an egg muffin. If they protest at the slightest sight of anything green in their eggs, simply spoon some salsa over them and they will never notice the difference.
There is something about bright colors in my food that makes me feel like I am eating healthier, probably because I am! The best part about this recipe is that you can only add your favorite veggies and leave out the ones you don’t like. See, this recipe can bring harmony to your household and get you your family to eat their veggies.
This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to five days. That way you can make a batch of egg muffins on a Sunday night and have breakfast in the morning before work without turning on the oven or stove. Simply reheat in the microwave to 25-30 seconds and enjoy. I have also put my muffins in a whole wheat wrap or on a toasted bagel thin so I could eat it on the go!
- Non-stick spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms*
- 3 cups of organic baby spinach*
- 4 large eggs (I used Egglands Best)
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup shredded light swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- *Bell Pepper and Onion Version - Substitute the mushrooms and spinach for 1/4 cup each of chopped red and green bell peppers. Saute onion for 1 minutes, then add bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes more. Then prepare as directed.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute chopped red onion for 1 minute then add chopped mushrooms and saute 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add spinach and cover to 1-2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together whole eggs and egg whites. Mix in 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and season with salt and pepper. Pour the veggie mixture into the eggs and mix well.
- Fill each muffin pan 2/3 full with egg mixture, then top each muffin tin with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until eggs are puffed and lightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool in pan for 2 minutes before serving.