Creating new, healthy, clean recipes is not as easy as you would think. Not only do I want a recipe that tastes good but I also try to create for recipes that can be made with a few, simple ingredients. This healthy recipe for mexican zucchini boats is fast, east and won my husband over with just one bite.
A few weeks ago, I was testing recipes in my kitchen for zucchini boats. Not sure which flavor I would prefer, I created two versions, one italian and one mexican, using lean ground turkey meat. As my helpful husband walked through the kitchen, he took one look at my dish of (uncooked) zucchini boats and wrinkled up his nose.
Not really the response I wanted so I kicked him out of my kitchen while I was in the middle of my creative process. Not wanting anyone to feel left out, I also kicked the kids and the dog out of the kitchen too. It is hard to be creative in a chaotic kitchen.
Once I convinced my husband that I had created him a “high protein, low carb” meal that actually tasted good, he finally agreed to try a bite. Reluctantly…
To his surprise (and mine), he said they were GREAT! I fully expected the italian zucchini boats to win in his side by side taste test, but he preferred the mexican zucchini boats. Which means I get to share this “husband-approved” recipe with you. Enjoy!
Just a few simple ingredients make this a delicious, healthy meal for the entire family
- 5 medium zucchini
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out insides with a spoon and discard.
- Cook zucchini in boiling water for 90 seconds, remove from water with tongs and place in 9 x 13 glass baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cook ground turkey in a medium saucepan until no longer pink. Stir in seasonings and remove from heat. Add salsa and corn, stir until combined.
- Spoon ground turkey mixture into zucchini boats, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If desired, top with non-fat greek yogurt.