This time of year, when the weather turns cooler and I am working long days, slow cooker recipes are my savior. I love walking in the door after long day of work to the smell of dinner filling the house. It feels warm and comforting, and the best part is I get to sit down right away and eat dinner with my family.
Clockwise from top left:
Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers from Real Simple / Teriyaki Chicken from Gimme Some Oven / Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic pulled pork from Just A Taste / Hearty Roasted Vegetable Beef Stew from Picky Palate / Beef Barbacoa from the Kitchn / White Chicken Chili Verde
My favorite slow cooker recipes involve throwing in a few ingredients and pressing the power button, then cooking it on low for 8 to 10 hours. This collection of slow cooker recipes is made up of those easy type of meals, ones that take very little time and effort to throw together in the morning. One recipe is my own, while the others are some favorites I found on Pinterest. Wanting a recipe that was simple, healthy but also full of flavor; I created a White Chicken Chili Verde. It got two thumbs up from my family (one from my husband and one from my 8 year old daughter), and a few jealous looks from co-workers when I brought the leftovers for lunch the next day.
This white chicken chili requires very little effort, as it cooks in the slow cooker for 8 hours. It is kid-approved comfort food that is hearty and healthy!
- non-stick spray
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 to 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans Navy Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (32 ounce) box of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) jar of salsa verde (Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onion, sliced avocado, crushed tortilla chips.
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray, then place the chicken breasts in the bottom. Sprinkle chicken with pepper, garlic and onion powder. Add the white beans and salsa, then slowly pour in the chicken broth. Cook for 8 hours on low heat.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces then return chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve with your choice of toppings: cheese, sour cream, green onion, tortilla chips.
Do you have a favorite slow cooker recipe? Do you prefer to cook meats or soups/chilis in the slow cooker? Or both?