Have you run out of ideas about how to cook chicken or are you tired of eating plain chicken breasts? I love to cook but sometimes feel get bored with cooking the same chicken dishes over and over. My goal was to create a new, easy to cook chicken entrée while still keeping it healthy. Skinny Spinach & Artichoke Chicken is a tasty, healthy dish made with fresh spinach, marinated artichoke hearts and new Weight Watchers Whipped Cream Cheese.
If you only eat cream cheese on bagels, you may not know that you can cook and bake with it too. In this recipe, the Weight Watchers Whipped Cream Cheese is mixed with spinach, garlic, artichoke hearts, Parmesan cheese and non-fat yogurt for a creamy, cheese sauce that is poured over the chicken. The chicken bakes in the oven for about 30 minutes and dinner is served!
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray and place chicken breasts in the dish. This recipe calls for 1 1/2 pounds of chicken, I prefer to buy thin sliced breasts or you can butterfly three large breasts yourself. Set aside the chicken while you make the spinach & artichoke sauce.
Drain artichoke hearts and chop them into bite size pieces. Use the flat side of your knife to crush the garlic, then peel it.
Mince the two cloves of garlic, they will be going into the sauce so I like them finely minced.
Remove the stems from the spinach leaves and roughly chop the spinach.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan, then add the spinach. It may look like too much spinach but trust me it will cook way down.
Like magic, the spinach wilts and cooks down to this!
Add the minced garlic to the pan…
Then added the drained and chopped artichokes.
Next add 1/2 cup of Weight Watchers whipped cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
Turn off the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of yogurt and the lemon juice, then salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the spinach and artichoke sauce over the chicken in the baking dish.
Finally, sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and allow to bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
I suggest serving the chicken with a fresh green salad topped with balsamic vinaigrette and really good multi-grain bread for a full meal. Although it tastes rich and creamy thanks to Weight Watchers Whipped Cream Cheese and low-fat yogurt, one serving of Skinny Spinach and Artichoke Chicken contains about 200 calories and only 5 grams of fat. No more boring chicken for dinner, this easy recipe with help you get a tasty, healthy recipe on the table. Hope you enjoy!
- •Non-stick cooking spray
- •1 1/2 pounds thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- •4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- •2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- •1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- •1/2 cup Weight Watcher's whipped cream cheese, plain
- •1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- •2 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt, plain
- •2 teaspoons lemon juice
- •salt and pepper to taste
- 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in dish and set aside.
- 2.Drain and chop artichoke hearts, peel and mince garlic then roughly chop spinach.
- 3.In a large saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped spinach to pan and cover, cook for 2 minutes. Remove lid and stir, then cover and cook an additional 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- 4.Add minced garlic to the spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- 5.Add in chopped artichoke, Weight Watcher's whipped cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese melts. Turn off heat, add Greek yogurt and lemon juice and stir until heated through, then salt and pepper to taste.
- 6.Pour sauce over chicken, then sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- 7.Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cook for 5 minutes before serving.
This post is part of the Write 31 Days series that I am participating in during the month of October. Every day I am sharing Wellness Tips for Working Moms and you can find all the related posts here. #write31days